I'm a little late to the 'Best of 01' listings, so I thought I'd skip right past them and instead pay homage to yee who thou may have forgotten. Yee who you may have never listened to. Yee of yesteryear.
We always love to talk about the newest band, the newest sound, the newest scene. But if you ask me, 1993's albums kicked my ass beautifully. I therefore give you...
My Personal Top 8 Albums of 1993.
- Afghan Whigs; Gentleman Drunk, angry, smokey, American, male. Still my top album of all time.
- Tool; Undertow "Unsuppressed indulgence in rage." Best definition I ever heard of Tool.
- Dr. Dre; The Chronic Dre's slow-rollin' potty mouthin' brought white college kids to rap en masse.
- Matthew Sweet; Altered Beast Matthew Sweet writes pop songs like [insert witty complimentary analogy here].
- Urge Overkill; Saturation The best guitar rock of the decade.
- The Pixies; Trompe Le Monde OK, this came out in '91. But Frank Black owns you any year he wants.
- The Breeders; Last Splash The Deal sisters' voices drive Pixies inspired quirkpop.
- Liz Phair; Exile in Guyville This is what Penthouse Letters would sound like...